Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Roller Coaster Ride


When I was married to Chad, I used to get frustrated with one of my friends. She would constantly complain about how hard her life was because she was a single parent. Life was never going well. It was always a roller coaster. Life was so up and down. I mean seriously, can't you look at the bright side of things? Find something positive for once?

Well, now the shoe is on the other foot. I have come to realize that LIFE IS HARD as a single mom and some days, like today, all I want to do it complain. Its hard even though as single moms go, I have it easy. I have a great job. I have supportive family and friends. I don't have to struggle to find baby sitters. I have an ex that is supportive of my discipline, if need be. I know he will back me up when it comes to the kids, even if we don't see eye to eye on a personal level. AND he pays his child support. (Yup....the whole $13 a week.)

It is hard though. It is frustrating because you are doing a job that God intended two people to do. You definitely need two people for this job because its not just any roller coaster. It is the Mean Streak. The Millennium Force. The Beast. It is the tallest, the fastest and the bumpiest roller coaster I have ever been on.

But........

That's life. Life is a roller coaster no matter who you are....single, married........18, 25, 60 years old........high school, college.....Kids, no kids.......working, unemployed........doesn't matter.

Life is gonna flip and turn. Its gonna take you up so high and then its gonna rocket you down ten times faster than when you went up. You are gonna want to scream. You might want to close your eyes and wait for it to be over. Sometimes its gonna make you just plain nauseous.

But its also gonna be exciting. It will be thrilling. It will make you laugh. It will be the ride of your life.

So on rough days, or weeks, like I have had when all I feel like I have done is complain, I try to look at the positive. And there is so much positive in my life. I have a great life. I have an awesome life.

So, I am done complaining. I am just gonna find something to smile about today. It will get better. I KNOW it will get better.

I know this because every roller coaster comes to an end. And when this one is over, I am gonna stand in line for the next one.

2 comments: